MdM Medical Manager – UKRAINE
The humanitarian aid organisation Ärzte der Welt e. V. is the German division of the international network Médecins du Monde/Doctors of the World (MdM). The 17 national members of the network implement domestic and international health care projects, currently almost 340 projects in 75 countries around the world.
MdM provides emergency medical aid in disaster and crisis situations, supports access to health care and, if possible, assists with reconstruction measures. The network is also active in risk reduction and preparedness as well as long-term development co-operations in neglected regions around the world that receive little public attention. MdM ensures that its health services are provided equally to the most vulnerable citizens, refugees, internally displaced people and host communities, regardless of their ethnic, social, religious or political background.
MdM has been operating in Eastern Ukraine since 2015, targeting the most vulnerable communities and people by improving access and quality of health care services for the population in Luhansk Oblast and Donetsk Oblast. Since February 2022 MdM has restructured its setting in Ukraine and adjusted the programme accordingly. Currently MdM maintains a office in Chernivtsi and in Dnipro. The emergency response in Ukraine is currently implemented around two main components: direct delivery of services through multidisciplinary mobile units (including PHC, SRH, MHPSS and support to GBV survivors) to IDPs and strengthening the local health system through distribution of medicines and medical supplies to several hospitals and primary health care facilities.
In support of our work in Donetsk Oblast and Dnipropetrovsk Oblast, MdM Germany is looking for an experienced Medical Manager (national or international) to be based in Dnipro The Medical Manager is responsible for the management and strengthening of the medical activities of MdM Germany in Ukraine and is reporting to the Field Coordinator (Country Representative).
- Project Management
- Ensure effective and efficient implementation and follow-up of MdM’s health care activities in Dnipro.
- Provide supervision and technical support to the Health Officers on their daily tasks and ensure effective and efficient implementation of the activities under their responsibility (outreach team, referral assistance, trainings, donations of medical equipment and supplies, community-based activities).
- Assess in cooperation with the health team the capacity building needs of the public health system staff and contribute to the design of trainings
- Draft/Update project-related guidelines, standard operation procedures, modalities, terms of references to ensure that ongoing and planned interventions are structured and implemented according to MdM and international standards.
- Ensure that different components of the project are consistent and in line with medical needs and standards.
- Conduct regular field visits for supervision and monitoring of implementation.
- Participate in the recruitment of local medical staff as well as in the staff performance appraisal process.
- Coordinate with the Field Coordinator and Logistics Manager on movement requests for field operations.
- Organize and co-chair regular MdM mobile unit coordination meetings as well as base health staff meetings.
- Technical Support
- Provide technical support to the Field Coordinator in implementing the ongoing medical activities according to approved plans and budgets and contribute to the further development of the programme.
- Guide the project team during the analysis of a comprehensive needs assessment, conducted as preparation for a project aiming to increase the resilience of communities and the local health system by improving availability and access to quality multi-disciplinary primary health care services.
- Ensure that reports on the results of the above-mentioned assessments are available.
- Contribute to the development of a project following the humanitarian-development nexus, based on the results of the above-mentioned assessment.
- Lead any additional planned technical assessment and develop relevant tools for data collection process and data analysis.
- Coach and mentor the medical staff to ensure effective and efficient implementation of current and planned activities.
- Identify capacity building needs among the local health team (in coordination with the MH Manager), develop a training curriculum and content and provide related trainings.
- Support the effective functioning of MdM’s MEAL system and contribute to the further development
- analyse medical data collected by the health team and ensure timely and quality reporting. If necessary, set-up corrective measures in coordination with the Field Coordinator
- Management of medical stock and logistic chain for medical purchase
- Coordinate with the Health Officers for the supply of medical equipment and consumable for the Outreach team as well as medical supplies for donation.
- Ensure medical activities have needed equipment and material to function.
- Support the medical procurement process in terms of quality check-up.
- Supervise the pharmacy activities in terms of quality of storage conditions in collaboration with logistics department and management (consumptions, orders & inventory)
- Analyse morbidity reports on weekly basis
- To provide monthly activity reports to the Field Coordinator
- Contribute to donor reports and proposals, monthly situation report (SITREP), as well as the Medical Quarterly Reports, by providing relevant data, analysis, and technical inputs related to health activities (consolidation of information from mobile teams and partners).
- Coordination and representation
- Represent MdM and maintain good relationships and regular contacts with local communities, local authorities and international and national organisations represented in Dnipro.
- Attend regular Health Cluster meetings.
- Other tasks and responsibilities
- Ensure visibility of MdM within the project.
- Ability to work quickly, under pressure, and with short deadlines.
- Ability to manage emergency situations and remain calm.
- Necessity to manage priorities and to adapt them daily according to the context.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements and environment.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to listen and share decisions.
- Alignment with principles and ethics of MdM
- very good command of written and spoken English (compulsory). Ukrainian / Russian a valid asset
Starting date: ASAP
Fixed term contract until the 31.12.22 with the possibility of extension
SALARYMdM Germany salary charts
How to apply
Please send your application using the following Link
MdM promotes equal opportunities for all people. We establish positive action measures for those who, due to functional diversity or social and / or cultural exclusion, belong to under-represented groups in the positions offered.